Description: IUOE is a progressive, diversified trade union that primarily represents operating engineers who work as heavy-equipment operators; mechanics and surveyors in the construction industry; and stationary engineers who work in operation and maintenance in building and industrial complexes, and in the service industries. Founded in 1896, the IUOE today is the 12th largest union in the AFL-CIO and has 400,000 members in some 170 local unions throughout the United States and Canada. They offer apprenticeships and training to IUOE members.
Local chapters include:
- Auburn, WA (Local 286, phone: 253-351-9095)
- Gladstone, OR (Local 701, phone: 503-650-7701)
- Helena, MT (Local 400, phone: 406-442-9597)
- Richland, WA (Local 280, phone: 509-946-5101)
- Seattle, WA (Local 609, phone: 206-441-8544)
Seminars and Workshops: Education includes a full range of facilities operation-and-maintenance topics. IUOE local unions administer the training programs.
Format: Classroom-based training