For Detached Single-Family New Construction and Additions Greater than 500 sq. ft.
Heat pump water heaters are a proven technology known to improve water-heating energy efficiency—and they are now more available, efficient and reliable than ever. As water heating accounts for roughly 18% of home energy use, this appliance can have a significant impact on lifetime energy use.
While installation of heat pump water heaters is similar to installing standard-tank water heaters, there are some important considerations detailed in this guide. These include considerations regarding condensate management and selecting the best location to enhance performance and customer satisfaction. This technical guide further includes:
- System features and benefits
- Overview of how heat pump water heaters work in comparison to conventional water heaters
- Installation and operating tips and best practices for developers, builders, architects, mechanical designers, construction teams and plumbers
- Code and inspector checklists
- Frequently asked questions
- Heat pump water heater manufacturers and resources