Headquarters: Bellevue, Washington
Established in 1986 and headquartered in Bellevue, Washington, JSH Properties is one of the largest property management and leasing firms in the Puget Sound region, providing a focus on property management for institutional investors.
Manages and lists over 150 properties in the Puget Sound region covering more than 17 million square feet including Waterfront Place, a mixed-use office and residential building on Seattle’s waterfront, as well as Redmond Town Center, an open air retail mall near the Microsoft world headquarters.
JSH Properties sought to improve:
- Seattle management team communications, cohesion and alignment on sustainability efforts
- Use of building performance to enhance JSH’s relationship with its clients
- Engagement with tenants on sustainability performance
Accomplishments Through the Program
The firm developed a sustainability vision, and as a key focus area, set an ambitious energy reduction goal of 25% in its entire Seattle portfolio by 2018. Accomplishments include:
- Launched their website, which highlights their sustainability efforts
- Communicating building performance and sustainability initiatives and progress with building owners
- Launched an innovative tenant engagement pilot with one of its Waterfront Place tenants
- Energy performance updates are now included in the semi-annual JSH newsletter
The firm created an energy reduction roadmap that showed opportunities for savings in these key areas:
- Lighting retrofits
- HVAC programming and scheduling
- Cloud-based building management software
- Incentivized energy savings idea program for employees
- Further tenant engagement and involvement
JSH actively implements operational best practices and capital improvements, and now tracks these changes for success. Communication has also been important; JSH participated in a tenant engagement pilot research project at Waterfront Place. The tenant set a goal of 10-15% electricity reduction compared to base year values; as of August 2014, an overall reduction in electricity consumption by 13% has been achieved. Methods for savings have included a cross department competition, changes in VPN Protocols, unplugging electrical devices, disabling screen savers, and trading in dual monitors, among others.
JSH property managers work closely with Seattle City Light to identify and implement energy efficiency programs best suited for each property.
- A significant decrease in tenant complaints across its four Seattle properties in the program
- Participation in the Seattle 2030 District’s Switch Automation pilot
- Participation in Seattle City Light’s MeterWatch program and Puget Sound Energy’s Building Tune-Up (BTU) and Resource Conservation Management (RCM) program
- Average energy savings of 10% across its Seattle portfolio
- Received the award for “Largest Organizational Change” from the Seattle 2030 District.
- Achieved ENERGY STAR certification for the First & Stewart building
Keys to Success
- Emma Karlsson, Director of Sustainability, has committed the company to sustainability and to Strategic Energy Management as a part of its overall initiative
- Creation and ongoing implementation of a Strategic Energy Management Plan
- A diverse team including property managers and building engineers working together and communicating often